Tuesday 7 October 2014

Rainy days and big ideas



Today I'm spending the most part of my time on trains pacing from the sleepy city of Bath and my slightly less sleepy best friend into the awaiting arms of blissful Brighton, and my home for now. Rain splattered window panes provide a misty haze as I watch the world whirl past. It's times like this that provide me with the perfect opportunity for unclouded contemplation. So as I sit in the welcoming blue chair, the Stones serenading me through one working headphone, I consider my life and what is to come.

I've always resented the fact that I'm a planner. I constantly have big ideas brewing in my overactive mind. The desire to be spontaneous and leave my fate to the throws of a hectic life always falls short to lists of ideals - places I want to go, things I want to achieve. Perched at the edge of a table, two businessmen in matching jackets seated opposite on their phones, I find myself doing just this. In an attempt that seems childish, I colour in my train ticket with a red felt tip and big notions for the future. Just over a month away from my 20th birthday, there is the consideration of how my 20s might be spent. 

Constant dreaming seems an adequate way to pass the time but then I also have to ensure that I don't lose my present in wild fantasies. At the end of the train line a current existence filled with a mixture of new and friendly faces, piles of books containing new worlds to get lost in and a working life that surrounds me with shoes, lies patiently. I have no clue where the next few years of my life will take me but if the direction continues to grace me with the same variation of adventures I'll welcome it with the same willingness as the little blue seat housing me for the next 3 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment