Saturday 1 February 2014

The Transformation of Concorde

Stepping into Concorde 2 is usually a pretty similar experience and I've become fairly accustomed to the venue, but when I entered through its doors last night I was met with a different world entirely. The take over by the Gypsy Disco saw an immersive experience quite unlike anything else I have seen set inside those walls. While standing in the queue, a burden usually dreaded by even the most patient of people, we were met with fire dancers and thus encapsulated before we had even made it inside. What was immediately ensured that we were in for a night we would fail to forget easily.


 

This promise was not made in vain and as soon as we entered we were exposed to the immense effort that the team had gone to. The whole of the venue was draped with material and foliage, creating a dream like world. There was a feeling that you'd left the streets of Brighton and found yourself in a magical land beyond human perception. 


The gypsy swing bands that played ensured that everyone was on there feet and dancing. The usual fate of awkward dancing and head bopping that is so often found on a night out was chased away by uninhibited displays of energy and beaming faces everywhere you looked. Its one of those things which if you embrace in its entirety, you find that you are left with this collective sense in the air - safe in that knowledge that you are all just glad to be there. My favourite moment of the night had to be heading into the smoking area to find a live band playing, complete with an impressively sized bass. That little corner of clarity away from the madness of inside is what really made me feel at ease, as if I'd truly stumbled on a little haven away from the chaotic whirlwind of everyday life. It is that feeling of calm that can be found in the unexpected corners that I am really appreciative for, and for providing me with that I can feel that I lay witness to something that can only be described as magical.




No comments:

Post a Comment