Monday 21 April 2014

A Woman Needs A Man, Like A Fish Needs A Bicycle: 5 female friendships on film
Gloria Steinem's important words in the world of feminism and one of my favourite phrases. Sure, I acknowledge the I'mportance of the men in my life but for me this more rings of the advocation of independence. As far as dependant relationships go, nothing makes me want to run for the hills more. The suggestion that we are incomplete until we find a partner has my skin crawling. That's why when I came across the BFI article listing seven female friendships in films, it got me thinking about something one of my friends once told me -- you should treat your relationships like your friendships, and your friendships like your relationships. It's the suggestion that you should put more energy into the platonic that is represented in my own list of 5 films in which strong female friendships take the forefront. 

Boys on the Side
My love of Drew Barrymore may enhance my fondness for this film, but that aside the friendships within it are certainly noteworthy. Though there may be some contradiction of Steinem's statement through a favouring of more traditional roles by some of the characters, the point of relying on your friends to get by certainly remains. It is Robin and Jane's friendship that stands strong in the end, displaying how it is often the one you least expect that will support you even at the hardest points.



Frances Ha
One of my all time favourite films, mainly due to Frances doing everything a little bit differently, you can see my full adoration of the film in a previous post. The protagonist clumsily fumbles her way through the narrative but the premise for throwing her off balance is not a man, but her altering relationship with best friend Sophie. For refusing to focus on the romantic side of life, Frances Ha is refreshing. It manages to display how romance is not only found in sexual relationships, but instead comes in a broad scope of possibilities. If the belief is to be held that there is someone out there for everyone, could that someone not be the closest person regardless of their relation to you?



Me Without You
Noted in BFI's list, I couldn't resist sharing this one. The story of two best friends growing up together, this may not be the healthiest example of a relationship but it displays the difficulties of female friendship when it is sparked from a young age. Learning to grow into your own when a friendship is so much of who you are presents a challenge. There is an exploration of how even our friendships have the potential to be dependant to the point of consuming us.



Ghost World
I will always have an attachment to Ghost World for resonating with what it is like to be on the outside. Enid and Rebecca's friendship demonstrates how it is easier to be different if you have someone to accompany you. Revealing the struggle of maintaining a closeness in the inevitable changes following school, through everything it remains that Enid and Rebecca's quips are still unrivalled. 



Death Proof
Tarantino's film may be centred around car chases but female friendships are a pivotal part to the narrative. Beginning with a focus on the light hearted side of things, when a threat is imposed it can be seen how female friendship prevails.






No comments:

Post a Comment